Overview: This week’s readings will be a lot easier to follow than what we read last week. Chapter 11 is the great “Hall of Faith” chapter. It gives us a whole list of Old Testament saints and tells how they lived lives of faith. Chapter 12 gives us more about our own faith. Chapter 13 goes on to give us more practical application for our faith.
Next we begin John’s letters. These first two chapters are packed full of lessons that would be easy to skip over in our daily living.
Day 1 – Hebrews 11
1. What, exactly, is faith? How would you define it?
2. What does “assurance” mean?
3. What are the things which you hope for?
Day 2 – Hebrews 12
1. Explain the phrase “we have so great a cloud of witnesses.”
2. What is the “race” referring to?
3. Why are some of the greatest lessons we learn in life so painful?
Day 3 – Hebrews 13
1. How does this last chapter fit in with the rest of the book?
2. Give some examples of hospitality.
Day 4 – 1 John 1
1. John says “God is light.” What do you think he means?
2. What does he mean then that in God, “there is no darkness at all”?
Day 5 – 1 John 2
1. What people or things in this world attract you?
2. When might it be wrong to desire something?
3. What are some clues that would tell us that we might be loving something more than God?